Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reading

Poor Nini. Being two is hard. And what makes it even worse for her is being the only one in our family who can't read. She's learning letters, but phonics is still a mystery. We try to "help" her read, but she wants to do it by herself, like everyone else does. She will just "fake it" - making up stuff and following along with her finger - when she insists on a turn during scriptures. She is often frustrated by her lack of ability.

So, tonight I decided to fix this problem. Nini needs to be able to really read... something. I pulled out a beginning reader - one of those with a pattern, meant to be memorized, with pictures to help with recall. I read it to her twice, with her "reading" with me and then she "read" it all by herself, carefully following the words with her finger. Her huge grin showed how happy it made her to finally be able to READ something. I wanted to capture that moment of joy, so I pulled out the camera.She read the book over and over. She was so excited!So, she read it to Monkey. Then, she read it to Daddy. Then, she read it to Bucket. Then, she read it to W. Then... she read it to Trigger.Then... Mom said it was really time for bed.


Mean Mom.

2 comments:

  1. oh goodness, she is *such* a (insert your maiden name in here ;)) Cute! What a great mommy you are. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing Mother Tara! You just gave nini so much self confidence! I'm excited for Bucket and W too. Watch out world is right. They will go far!

    ReplyDelete